RE: Re: DVI Cabling advice needed

  • Subject: RE: Re: DVI Cabling advice needed
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:00:16 -0000

Hi Darren,

Will try and explain it a bit better.

A thru panel coupler for an F-Connector is easy as there is a centre
conductor and the body of the connector that is the screen.

A DVI connector (or D-type) is more complex. There are multiple rows of
pins
which for a given gender of the connector are in the same order.

Consider a 9 pin D-type as used on a serial port. The pins are arranged on
two rows and if you place two connectors side by side the numbering will
look like this

1 2 3 4 5      1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9        6 7 8 9

But they are both facing you and for a through coupler one has to be facing
away from you, flip the right hand one through 180 degrees and you get

1 2 3 4 5      5 4 3 2 1
6 7 8 9        9 8 7 6

So pin 1 of the front connector lines up with pin 5 of the rear connector
but it NEEDS to be connected to Pin 1 for it to be electrically
"straight
thru" therefore the pins need to be cross wired to each other. Hence
the
comment about "mirrored" connections

Given Phils comments regarding cable length and signal degradation I would
not do what you are trying to do. (I have to bow to Phil's superior
knowledge here as I dont own any DVI kit yet.)

I know you said you dont want a cable poking out of the wall but there isnt
really an easy alternative. To make it neater you could use a modular
faceplate with a removable blank insert. Drill a hole in the centre of the
blank the same size as the diameter of the cable. Then cut the blank in
half. Feed the cable through the modular faceplate then clip the two halves
of the blank into place. You may need a spot of hot melt glue but the
result
will be a cable coming out of a neat hole without having to remove the
plug.

Not ideal I know but just offering a possible solution.

Regards

Keith