RE: Re: DVI Cabling advice needed

  • Subject: RE: Re: DVI Cabling advice needed
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:10:47 -0000

> Given Phils comments regarding cable length and signal
> degradation I would not do what you are trying to do. (I have
> to bow to Phil's superior knowledge here as I dont own any
> DVI kit yet.)

Nope - no superior knowledge. I just had a practical demo that a 10m DVI
cable worked fine, a 5m DVI cable worked fine, a 3m DVI cable worked fine,
1m DVI cable worked fine.

A 5m Male to Female DVI cable worked fine when used on the 1m DVI cable
(giving 6m) or the 3m (giving 8m) but when added to the 5m cable (giving
10m) we didn't get a stable picture (we got dropouts on the image where the
image would drop out to black) at native res of the panel but had to drop
down to a lower resolution.

Basically - the information I have at the moment on DVI is to use the
*MINIMUM* number of connections in a DVI signal path.

Having said that, Pioneer have a rather sexy bit of kit which takes a DVI
signal, converts it into *OPTICAL* data, squirts it down fibre, then
converts it back to DVI ... That's provided with a 30m fibre but it's the
thick end of a grand. :-(

Phil