RE: DVI Cabling advice needed

  • Subject: RE: DVI Cabling advice needed
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:32:59 -0000

Also be aware that with DVI if you add in additional connections you take
chunks out of the maximum cable length - for some reason DVI doesn't like
passing through too many plugs and sockets (don't ask me why - it just does
- I had this discussion with someone I know at Pioneer and I told him he
was
talking bollocks and he proved it otherwise).

DVI spec is 7.5m max cable length (apparently) and the rule of thumb I was
told by my man at Pioneer is that for each additional connector in the
cable
you should take out a metre of maximum cable length.

I know that Lindy do some nice long DVI cables but be aware that they *ARE*
outside of DVI specs - you take your chances as to whether they work. And
when DVI starts to fall over it doesn't just do so "analogue VGA
style" -
DVI is digital so when it starts to break down and glitch it really buggers
up!

Phil