Intro and esp quad processor question

  • Subject: Intro and esp quad processor question
  • From: "Matthew Reeve" <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:45:22 -0000

Hi all,

I've been lurking on the list for a while now but haven't posted before so
thought I'd send a brief introduction with my first question.

I have a background in software engineering, from websites through to
defence projects - I now run my own company (www.bigyellowdesign.com).
Other
than fiddling with gadgets, my main hobby is building unusual vehicles - I
currently drive a 1979 stretch range rover (see www.rangie.com).

As for my HA interests, I have gradually been getting into HA over the last
year, initially through the audio/video side - I have run scart and co-ax
cables round the house from the node0 rack in the loft, the scart cables
are
sent from a powered scart splitter and amp, switched from either the sky+,
video, dvd or house pc. I have recently started experimenting with cctv, we
don't have *any* crime around here so it was hard to justify spending a lot
of money on it so I started with a couple of cameras (one colour and one
b&w) from Focus. The quality isn't great but it is more than enough to
have
some warning when we are waiting on visitors.

The problem that we have is that we can't cover the whole of the front
garden with one camera so I have been looking for a quad processor to take
multiple feeds from the cameras and display them all at the same time. I'm
well aware that the proper solution is going to cost a bit of money, so I
wanted to do a trial version with some cheap hardware so that I could
achieve approval from the holder of the bank account for the second phase
with some proper hardware... to this end I picked up an ESP quad processor
from makro this afternoon. On the box it looked like it was perfect for the
job, however once opened it doesn't have suitable connectors on the back.

So, finally to my question :-

Does anyone know whether the RJ11 input sockets used in ESP cameras and on
the quad processor can be wired to a normal video co-ax feed? The video
output also has an RJ11 socket, and it comes with a cable which works for
output but doesn't work for the inputs. I've googled trying to find it but
with no joy. I'm happy to make up my own leads, but didn't want to
re-invent
the wheel experimenting with all the different permutations if someone else
already knew what the pinouts were.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew Reeve