RE: What would you pay for a home automation package?

  • Subject: RE: What would you pay for a home automation package?
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:05:54 -0000

Hmmm ... A bit of a tricky one there Paul. Of course I've seen some of the
functionality that you are wanting to build into this and I know it should
be impressive (assuming that it all works together in the end which is what
you're sorting now).

Asking about pricing is a bit of an issue here though as UKHA_D is
invariably a place where we all want fine Chardonay for Aussie hooch
prices=
.
On one hand it will be capable of a shitload of functionality, you have an
intelligent heating controller in there (the functionality of which I have
seen at work in your "old" house and it was bloody impressive),
intelligent
lighting and intelligent security which - if you look at those areas
individually - will set you back an arm and a leg for good kit. I'm tempted
to take a wild stab and say that you can assume that the heating control,
lighting control and intelligent security system would probably cost in the
order of =A31,500 each to buy in so chuck on another grand for it being a
conveniently pre-packaged solution (i.e. you don't need to then spend the
next year trying to get all three separate systems talking to each other)
and a slice of profit (which will have to be a semi reasonable one given
that it will be a small market product at first and will require a
reasonable level of support from you as the "manufacturer") and
you've got
to be up at the =A36k - =A36.5k mark.

On the other hand that's a hefty wedge of cash for one bit of kit and I'm
sure that it would raise cries of "too expensive" from many here
(me
included as I can't afford that kind of outlay but then again maybe if
that's the type of system I was looking for then maybe I would think that
=A36k is cheap - after all I want a weekend toy that costs three times
that=
!).
There was a post up here recently from someone that was looking at =A315k
t=
get a decent rewiring job done on his property so in that context my =A36k
guesstimate looks decidedly underpriced and if you're contemplating doing a
renovation or refit on a property then =A36k for heating control, lighting
control and security is a peeing in a lake so maybe at =A36k it would be
underpriced?

All assuming that it does what it says on the tin of course...

OH TOSS!!! I missed the bit there that said about the zoned music server
..=
.
I guess you can look at chucking another grand at least onto it there then
too (I'm thinking roughly equivalent cost to a Yamaha Musiccast or
similar)=
.

So then - anyone else care to comment on whether my finger-in-the-air
figur=
of =A37k - =A37.5k is reasonable?

Phil