What would you pay for a home automation package?

  • Subject: What would you pay for a home automation package?
  • From: "solentelectricalservices" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:27:50 -0000

Some of you will remember me from the UKHA show (guy with the stand
next to laser)
I have been working for some time on a control panel type enclosure
system which would become the node 0 panel. Basically it is my theory
that I would supply installers/sparks with a complete pre-built panel
and a wiring schedule. The panel would be ready labelled and all you
would do is wire from each terminal to the right point with the right
cable. Then power up and off you go. Tricky bit is the screens for
configuration which you will need to access. Not sure how deep to
make these yet. If you have ADSL all can be maintained and tweaked
remotely if required.

So how much would the average new build/rewire client pay for such a
box? This is to help me understand better what equipment to use and
if the equipment im using right now fits most budgets.

What do you get?

Option 1 which is nearly finished would offer as standard:-

1) Full heating control optimum start/stop, weather compensation,
variable temp circuit, PID control, full time scheduling from PC, and
much much more.

2) Lighting control for 20 Zones (obviously this can be changed)

3) Security with full online keypad, SMS arm, status etc, 16 zones as
standard.

4) PIR lighting control, walk in a room and if needed lights come on.
Works best at night for toilet, mid night snacks etc.

5) Music server + 2 extra zones

6) Normal patch bay type setup, cat5e and CT100 with space for phone
system etc

7) User interface is PDA, PC, web pages. Maybe included will be 4 12
button panels that are pre-engraved. These panels have led feedback
and play wav files.

8) Light switches are bog standard momentary, wired in cat5e so can
be changed later.

9) Loads of bolt on extras that can be added later using the wiring
scheme.

I know some of you have objections to US INSTALLERS posting on here
but im interested in your advise on price. However if anyone is
interested please email me, I will have a full online demo soon!
although if required something will be ready tomorrow but only for
anyone who emails me as its very raw.

Cheers guys