RE: Ceiling Mount Speakers

  • Subject: RE: Ceiling Mount Speakers
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:36:00 -0000

Hi Don

> Keith, while I have your attention!
>
> I'm replacing a pair of speakers in the bathroom one of which hasn't
been
> working for ages and one that has just died.
>
> Just having a single speaker working didn't really matter as we
> only really
> listen to radio progs off the Internet in the bath!
>
> On further inspection, it looks like the reason the 1st one died
> is that the
> lead connecting the speaker appears to have been "removed"
when I had my
> loft conversion done - preumeably when they were laying the floor
> above the
> bathroom.
>
> Theres no easy way to run another speaker cable down to the kitchen
where
> the amp is :-(

First Question ....Did you use 2 core flex or Twin and Earth or 3 core flex
?

If you used T&E or 3 core flex you can probably resurrect the stereo.
If you
only have 2 cores then it will have to be mono.

> Now I now it's probably heresy and I'm sorry to ask but is there
> a safe way
> to drive the two speakers of the single remaining cable albeit in
glorious
> mono?

Second question... What is the impedance of the speakers  4 or 8 ohm.

Third Question... what is the minimum impedance load the amp can take?

Fourth Question... Is the amp used exclusively for the bathroom or is it a
second set of speakers off an existing amp ?

If the amp is exclusively for the bathroom then mono is easy as you just
mix
the signals at the input to the amp (or press the mono button if it has
one)

If the amp is als used by the kitchen then either the kitchen will have to
run mono as well or you will have to use just left or right for bathroom
and
have "half stereo". (Beatles and other 60's records give really
wierd
effects, all or most music on one channel with just vocals and percussion
on
the other!)

Answer these and I will give more info :-)

Keith