Re: Ceiling Mount Speakers

  • Subject: Re: Ceiling Mount Speakers
  • From: Don McAllister <donmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:34:25 +0000

Keith, while I have your attention!

I'm replacing a pair of speakers in the bathroom one of which hasn't been
working for ages and one that has just died.

Just having a single speaker working didn't really matter as we only really
listen to radio progs off the Internet in the bath!

On further inspection, it looks like the reason the 1st one died is that
the
lead connecting the speaker appears to have been "removed" when I
had my
loft conversion done - preumeably when they were laying the floor above the
bathroom.

Theres no easy way to run another speaker cable down to the kitchen where
the amp is :-(

Now I now it's probably heresy and I'm sorry to ask but is there a safe way
to drive the two speakers of the single remaining cable albeit in glorious
mono?

Otherwise, I'll need to connect the speakers to one of the PCs upstairs but
then I'll need a cheap and cheerful amp to drive them - any recommendations
anyone?

Ta!
Don

wrote:

>> Hi Don,
>>
>>> I've just bought some cheap in ceiling speakers.
>>>
>>> They've turned up with 100V transformers on them - whats that
all
>>> about :-)
>>>

>> That'll be because they are intedned for 100 volt line
installations.

>>> Can I just hook them up to a normal HiFi amp or do I need
something
>>> different?
>>>

>> No and Yes :-)
>>
>> No, you cant just connect them to your amp unless you have a 100v
line
>> output
>>
>> Yes, just disconnect the transformer and you will have a
"normal" 4 or 8 ohm