RE: Re: Equipment in loft - dust and heat issues?

  • Subject: RE: Re: Equipment in loft - dust and heat issues?
  • From: "Pete Church" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:19:41 -0000

>My loft has the usual foam lagging between it and the floor below,
>however the inside of the roof is lined with silver-foil covered
>boards os some sort so I can't see the usual felt that goes underneath
>the tiles. I'm not sure if these foil-covered boards are meant to keep
>heat or not...

Hi,

Sorry to duck in late on this thread, but I think a point may have been
missed in this post.

If the underside of the roof is lined with foil covered boards, and the
house is only 3 years old, then it is highly likely that the loft in
question is of warm-roof construction.  Meaning that the loft could
actually
be used as a living space - i.e. less dust and dampness that is associated
with old, cold roofs.

I would suggest that the condition of the loftspace itself (after 3yrs)
should be a good indication of whether equipment will get dusty or damp: if
it's not too dusty and doesn't feel too cold/damp on a cold day (like
today)
then probably the roof is well sealed and properly ventilated with
breathable membranes, so drip trays etc are unlikely to be required. With
the roof insulation, the addition of a few 100 watts of fan equipment may
actually keep the roofspace quite warm in the winter.

The flipside of the summer may be a bigger issue - if there is no external
mechanical ventilation then the space could get a bit hot in the summer and
the heat problems will ensue. An extra vent/ fans may be required.

HTH

Pete

improvement&w2=Computer+stuff&w3=High&w4=Improvement&c=4&s=76&.sig=TcERUCDPQ
cJLbg9mtvQGJQ>  repair improvement

Computer
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+stuff&w1=Home+repair+improveme
nt&w2=Computer+stuff&w3=High&w4=Improvement&c=4&s=76&.sig=plS9-eUUfaBXyLVFT8
7AJg>  stuff

High
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=High&w1=Home+repair+improvement&w2=Comp
uter+stuff&w3=High&w4=Improvement&c=4&s=76&.sig=b5d547gPx7eFWNGqXQCl7A>

Improvement
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Improvement&w1=Home+repair+improvement&;
w2=Computer+stuff&w3=High&w4=Improvement&c=4&s=76&.sig=O6pw_oratTOwep2G_91fI

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

"
on the web.

*          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: