From: "Pete Church" <yahoo@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 12:19 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: Equipment in loft - dust and heat issues?

>>My loft has the usual foam lagging between it and the floor below,
>>however the inside of the roof is lined with silver-foil covered
>>boards os some sort so I can't see the usual felt that goes
underneath
>>the tiles. I'm not sure if these foil-covered boards are meant to
keep
>>heat or not...
>

> Hi,
>
> Sorry to duck in late on this thread, but I think a point may have
been
> missed in this post.
>
> If the underside of the roof is lined with foil covered boards, and
the
> house is only 3 years old, then it is highly likely that the loft in
> question is of warm-roof construction.  Meaning that the loft could
> actually
> be used as a living space - i.e. less dust and dampness that is
associated
> with old, cold roofs.
>
> I would suggest that the condition of the loftspace itself (after
3yrs)
> should be a good indication of whether equipment will get dusty or
damp:
> if
> it's not too dusty and doesn't feel too cold/damp on a cold day (like
> today)
> then probably the roof is well sealed and properly ventilated with
> breathable membranes, so drip trays etc are unlikely to be required.
With
> the roof insulation, the addition of a few 100 watts of fan equipment
may
> actually keep the roofspace quite warm in the winter.
>
> The flipside of the summer may be a bigger issue - if there is no
external
> mechanical ventilation then the space could get a bit hot in the
summer
> and
> the heat problems will ensue. An extra vent/ fans may be required.
>
> HTH
>
> Pete

improvement&w2=Computer+stuff&w3=High&w4=Improvement&c=4&s=76&.sig=TcERUCDPQ
> cJLbg9mtvQGJQ>  repair improvement
>
> Computer
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+stuff&w1=Home+repair+improveme

nt&w2=Computer+stuff&w3=High&w4=Improvement&c=4&s=76&.sig=plS9-eUUfaBXyLVFT8
> 7AJg>  stuff
>
> High
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=High&w1=Home+repair+improvement&w2=Comp

uter+stuff&w3=High&w4=Improvement&c=4&s=76&.sig=b5d547gPx7eFWNGqXQCl7A>

> Improvement
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Improvement&w1=Home+repair+improvement&;

w2=Computer+stuff&w3=High&w4=Improvement&c=4&s=76&.sig=O6pw_oratTOwep2G_91fI