Latest message you have seen: Re: Mains installation in garden

Re: LAN over the mains

I purchased some of this kit and had a play over the weekend. I was
very impressed with how good the coverage was all over the house.
Similar results to yours-  7.5Mbps. Very easy, works well.

I want to play with some audio / video streaming - will probably use
VideoLAN for the video and winamp or one of the other mp3 streamers
for the audio. With shared media 7.5mps it may just be OK for one
video stream given exclusive use- I want to try multi-casting for
multiple receiver use.

I'll give the old X10 a go while this is in progress and see if
anything breaks. The other thing I want to test is noise immunity - I
have an LCD screen with a PSU that kills X10 activity dead - I'll see
how the home- plug handles it if I remove the noise filter!

Given the encouraging results from this kit I will get some of the V2
spec and start trying shared use of multiple streams etc. The V2 spec
was always hailed as including QoS features designed specifically for
the distribution of multiple isochronous streams.

This method of distribution has always been appealing to me with the
concept of a home gateway collecting external sources of content and
making them available to receivers across the power line where the
receiving device simply needs 1 connection to obtain both its power
and content 'signal' / comms connectivity.

Regards,

David