Re: 10MB broadband for me then!

> Git...
>
> Stuck on 2mb adsl, with little chance of it going any faster due to
> being on the limit for 2mb.... :(
> And no cable network to speak of...

There's another issue here though that appears to have been neatly
glossed over by Telewest, NTL etc., which is that TCP/IP is a two-way
protocol, and huge gobs of bandwidth in one direction is not necessarily
useful if you have chuff-all bandwidth in the other.

I can't recall the exact uplink speed for cable, but afair it's somewhere
around the 128Kb/s mark.  If that's the case, then I'd not expect people
to be able to get anywhere near the theoretic capacity of a 10Mb/s
downlink unless they also significantly increase the capacity of the
uplink.

Of course, none of this affects me anyhow. I'm grateful just to be
able to get 512Kb/s ADSL. But being able to sit in my office watching
buzzards riding the thermals in the field behind us (as they are right
now) is worth an awful lot of bandwidth.  Best go and check they aren't
showing an interest in our chicks, though :)

James