RE: Internet access from Hotels

  • Subject: RE: Internet access from Hotels
  • From: "Malcolm Surgenor" <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:45:12 +0100

I'll be interested to see how others reply but in my experience travelling
around the country you need to be prepared for every eventuality!  In my
laptop bag I usually carry a couple of modem/phone cables and an network
cable and I'll always have my mobile with me.

I find it's rare to use WiFi - there just aren't enough hotspots around
and,
for whatever reason, I can't always connect.  T-mobile and BT seem to be
the
most common and will let you sign up there and then with your credit card.
I've found WiFi connections in the US more frequent and usually easier to
sign up to.

More often than not though I end up connecting to my mobile using Bluetooth
(which is fine for email but not surfing). I was using my own ISP's dial up
service (Zen) but now I just dial UK2 which seems reliable.  The last
resort
is the hotel's phone/data line but it's not always easy to find out the
costs before hand.

HTH

Malcolm