Re: Internet access from Hotels

  • Subject: Re: Internet access from Hotels
  • From: "mouserdrip15" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:38:03 -0000

Hi Mark

As someone who spends a huge ammount of time staying in hotels across=20
the UK IMHO your friend is going to find hotspots at best 'anoying'.=20
No one hotel chain (Or even hotels within a chain as most are=20
Franchise ops) uses the same supplier and as the previous post=20
suggests coverage is often patchy.
I use GPRS almost exclusivly (I'll result to a hotspot only if I need=20
a large file or have nothing to do (Yeh right!) and fancy a surf)
In fact I'm typing this from the M6 servies after having just=20
negotiated my way past 1000's of crazy Cricket fans at Old Trafford!!

GPRS costs can whack up especially if your connected to an Exchange=20
Server without a compresion tool (Optigo or the like).
I've been sat here for 20-30 mins and my Aircard is reording nearly=20
2mb od data transfer.

If however he uses pop3 or the like he will find it very useable.=20

I have GPRS on my XDA11i also which is great for checking mail whilst=20
driving or if no time to boot laptop (DId I just say 'whilst'=20
driving ;-))

If he wants to do a little surfing one of the comp utilities also=20
works well. I use ONSPEED and it works very well and makes surfing=20
quite doable.

P.S. I probably use 100-150mb of GPRS data a week. It can get pricey !

HTH

Rob