KAT 5 Mark 2 and AVI lynx

  • Subject: KAT 5 Mark 2 and AVI lynx
  • From: "Tony Goodwin" <danielgoodwin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:02:49 -0000

Newbie to this, so bear with me
Looking to feed TV/Sky/Video/DVD throughout new house being built

Want to be able to place sources in single place and allow remote
control from a number of places (I assume using IR) over CAT5.

At moment I have COAX and distribution point in attic to four tvs, so
that each TV can look at terrestial channel indepentantly and also
look at SKy and Video channel which is common (same Sky channel on
all)

Looking at a couple of options
1. Scion Pro 6000 - probably too costly for me
2. AVI Lynx - http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/range/817
3. KAT 5 TV Mark II

I'm wondering how easy to replicate existing sceanario using any of
the above and it raise some questions.

1. Independant Terrestial TV in each room. Easy when you have COAX,
and with Scion I believe, which splits existing signal, to allow upto
8 terrestial channels. Can this be done for either Kat5 or AviLynx.=20

As both seem to take AV feeds, would I need say 5 cheap digital
receivers off a single coax and feed that as separate sources. With
AVi Lynx this would appear to work quite simply as each destimation
selects a source. For Kat5 I need, I seems I would need to feedback a
second Cat 5 and thus double CAT-5 sockets used

2. I assume Sky/DVD/Video would have direct AV feeds and should
present little bother

3. Remote control. AVI Lynx has remote to select source and pass IR
codes to that one, If more than one viewing source then a priority
system operates. I dont see how to operate Kat5 to change source other
than swap leads (am I wrong?) and if we feed say Sky to two rooms, can
we select who gets the IR codes for remote control?

Tony

=20