Re: Straw Poll - MythTV machine spec.

  • Subject: Re: Straw Poll - MythTV machine spec.
  • From: Joseph Heenan <joseph-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:04:18 +0100

In message <f916d72a0507311521106c6811@xxxxxxx>
Stuart Grimshaw <stuart.grimshaw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/30/05, Joseph Heenan <joseph-l@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Backend: P4 2.8GHz 1G 1.2T, 1xcapture card (sky), 2xDVB cards
> > Frontend: x-box
>
> Are you using the xbmc python frontend, or something different?

I'm using linux - xebian with the xebian version of myth on top of
it:

http://bit.blkbk.com/

(I don't use the machine for games - it's a full time linux and
mythtv box.)

> From what  gather the spec of the backend machine doesn't have to be
> too beefy if your just recording TV with it, it's the playback that
> requires the grunt?

Pretty much. If you want to use the commercial detection, that also
requires a fair amount of grunt (but could be run on a different
machine from the backend if desired).

If you only record in MPEG2 and have a hardware mpeg decoder (eg. the
hauppauge pvr line of cards I believe), playback shouldn't require
much grunt either.

Joseph

--
Joseph Heenan, Glasgow, UK              http://www.heenan.me.uk/
[ opinions expressed are my own and may not coincide ]