[OT] Friday dilemma...

  • Subject: [OT] Friday dilemma...
  • From: "Dean Barrett" <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:26:02 +0100

This is probably quite contentious depending on where you look at it from.

I'm having trouble with a guy at work complaining that we are opening mail
that is address private and confidential.

He has Director status in name only, and as MD I have informed him that I
have a right to view any mail relating to company business that arrives at
the premises. He informs me that this is illegal...

The question is - am I right ???

I become immediately suspicious of anyone that believes I cannot see mail
relating to my company. I will conceed that the girl opening mail should
not
open letters marked Private and Confidential, she however informs me she
never has done. Due to our fairly small size I see all mail when it
arrives.

This guy is particularly argumentative, and I'm sure its age related (60),
he has never been comfortable with me running things, but he does generate
large portion of our revenue so I have to tread fairly carefully. Some
relief comes from the fact that he's only got a couple of years till
retirement though :)

I'm keen not to back down, but by the same token don't want to end up in a
situation where words like illegal, and tribunal make surface.

Any suggestions appreciated...

I love work - I spend all day with people that act like kids, then get home
to deal with real ones :(

Dean.