Latest message you have seen: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Home_DIY_Rack_Wins_Creator_a_=A320K_Car?=

Re: Lock device for SimplyAutomate Magnetic Lock

  • Subject: Re: Lock device for SimplyAutomate Magnetic Lock
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:52:19 -0000

Would something like these help?

http://www.sdcsecurity.com/newsite/html/products/electricls.html

They are not cheap - mostly intended for commercial use. They are
used on our offices on conference/meeting rooms and some of the
director's offices. AMX automation screens/systems are used to
control them.

HTH

Keyvan

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, ian.bird@c... wrote:

> I can understand why. I have some of these from the days when
Maplin were
> selling them. To give you the most versatile system you need to
visit a
> locksmiths not B&Q. You are looking for a door locking 'bit' which
has a
> latch like a Yale lock. This is because under normal electronic
> circumstances as you say the latch in the frame moves. This allows
the door
> to open hence you can enter or exit. The problem comes when you
want to
> close the door. After opening the electronic latch is spring
loaded to shut
> again. If you have a square mortice type lock you cannot then
close the
> door whilst the mortice is locked - bummer. If you have something
like a
> Yale lock as the door closes the latch is pushed into the door and
then
> springs into the locked place when the door is properly closed.
>
> I went one further and bought locks which can be locked as I have
fail
> locked units. This means in the case of a power cut I can still
open the
> door with a key but Joe public cannot enter at random.
>
> I can send pictures if you want but I am not back in the UK for
another
> week or so
>
> Ian
>

>                       Gareth
Cook

ukha_d@xxxxxxx

>                                                cc:       (bcc: Ian
Bird/CV/Novartis)
>                       25/10/2004 16:40         Subject:  [ukha_d]
Lock device for SimplyAutomate Magnetic Lock
>                       Please respond

ukha_d

> All
>
> Anyone got any bright ideas on this ? SimplyAutomate are selling a
maglock
> (mortice type -
> http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?prodId=4635)
but are
> struggling to comprehend my question when I ask - what goes into
the door
> ?
>
> A normal mortice lock is installed into a door itself, with a key
of sorts
> which turns a "bolt" and extends into a hole in the door
frame. A
standard
> lock type.
>
> Now this is the opposite - it needs wiring, so needs to be
installed in
> the frame (which is fine - makes sense). When you apply 12v it
prevents it
> from "moving". When you turn off the power, it hinges and
allows a
fixed
> "bolt" to travel out. Imagine stoicking a screw into the
door
itself - it
> protudes into the gap of the mortice.
>
> Anyway, I was scouring B&Q - I cant find anything that looks like
a static
> "bolt" to install onto the door - closest is a "Tubalar
Mortice
Latch"
> http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?
CATID=77705&entryFlag=false&PRODID=20390