Latest message you have seen: RE: [OT] Web n Walk T-Mobile

RE: HELP!!! Cyrus 6 Amp ;o(

  • Subject: RE: HELP!!! Cyrus 6 Amp ;o(
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:35:27 +0100

Hi Jonathon

> After checking all the connections, I plugged the speakers into my
other
> hifi and by the sound of it, the bass/mid speaker has blown (gently
> pushing the speaker in a little to check movement and the coil it
> grating)

Doesnt sound good :-(

The grating will be the voice coil rubbing on the magnet assembly. The
reason for the grating is that the voice coil has been fried either by
being
overdriven for long periods of time or by catastophic failure of the
amplifier causing it to dump the DC power supply into the speaker.

This causes the enamel on the windings to bubble up due to excessive heat,
filling the air gap between the coil and the magnet. Eventually the voice
coil either goes open circuit or totally short circuit.

> If I have all disconnected the light still flashes red.

That sounds like some sort of protection circuitry is activated but if the
amp does have DC protection then I dont know why it didnt protect the
speaker in the first place :-(

Regards

Keith