Latest message you have seen: [OT] Avi compression

RE: [OT] Disk imaging (again)

I can't give a lot of details right now, as I'm not in my own office,
because
I'm at an associate's office, ghosting a lab of computers. ;)

Let me assure you: Symantec (Norton) Ghost does NOT do a sector-by-sector
copy.
I do not believe that PowerQuest Imagecenter does either. I *do* know that
older versions of some imaging suites did do sector-by-sector copies - I
believe that ImageMagic (I think that's the right name) did that, as well
as
many other freeware and even commercial utilities. That has largely gone by
the
wayside, though, with drives now being huge, and reliability increasing.

That said, I remember performing several sector-by-sector copies back in
the
day. It was a rather convenient way to save yourself if a disk was failing,
as
I could typically get failing drives to image their data over to another
drive... where I could perform data recovery much easier.

Andrew Shriner

Quoting "White, Peter" <peter.white@xxxxxxx>:

> I'm being told that we're getting a xfer rate of 1Gb per minute via
the
> USB2/IDE connection, however, as there's 40GB going across rather than
the
> 4-8GB, it's taking 40 mins rather than 5-10. The size of the image is
not as
> important, but the time it takes to do the xfer is, as time is money,
and
> we're doing about 7,500 of these things....
>
> I'll get our guys to look into PQI - thanks.
>
> Pete
>
>    _____

The