Re: Total internal VOIP?

Matthew J Keay wrote:

>>Has anyone gone the voip path rather then a PABX in there house?
>>

> Almost there..!

Good to hear :)

> Should be. http://www.automated.it/asterisk/
has a live CD if you want
> to test it. (I think it should boot OK now..)

I have installed asterisk on a debain box here when I was testing viop over
wifi
to a guy up the hill, but that was with aincent internet linejack cards.

>>Is there a voip to dect unit that will allow multiple bases and
provide the
>>ability to hand calls between them as I move around the house?
>

> Yeah, I got a sipura 3000 from www.calluk.com - which basically lets
> you plug a dect handset (or a normal phone!) and another cable goes to
> the phone line. www.telappliant.com do a similar thing too. (The
> starter kit they do is cheap/useful if you're going to build a
> asterisk server). You can either do it on the handsets themselves or
> with each VoIP handset using asterisk (and parking, or
> transfering..etc).

I dont want the analog between the 2, I want to have something that has a
dect
antenna on it, and speaks sip/something back to the server, The place here
is
too big for a normal dect to cover most of it, so at least 2 radios are
needed.
I know ericsson make dect units for there PABX's, but I dont want PABX, as
as
far as im concerned, its a dead in the water technology

> I'm absolutely loving the panasonic dect handsets w/ the sipura - it
> comes up with name/number caller ID as with normal VoIP..etc. Even
> landlines > voip. Love it :)

Yeah, but 2 handsets cant make calls at the same time, and you cant move
between
base stations seamlessly like you can with a tried and true commercial dect
installation.

>>What home automation coolness have people done with the display on
the phones?
>>Anyone got a whole house security panel thing going on with there
phone displays?

> Wayne Harrison has some funky mp3s playing when you ring him :) I know
> Andy Powell (automated.it) has all sorts of temp monitoring info
> displayed on his.
>
> Just realised what drivel this email is.. but at work :( If you jump
> on irc.nixhelp.org #ukha or #voip theres normally a bunch of folk you
> can ask about VoIP stuff :))

Im going to get some phones first I think, no point in having the
analog-viop
adaptors as far as im concerned, all the cool stuff wont work with them ;)

Actuall, a cisco viop phone isnt too badly priced when compared against
some of
the HA wall mount screens etc, and it has the benifit of making phonecalls
too.