Re: Total internal VOIP?

> Has anyone gone the voip path rather then a PABX in there house?

Almost there..!

> Im thinking that with the cisco handsets costing less then a typical
PABX phone,
> and asterisk being free, it looks like the way to go, Im just wanting
to avoid
> any gotchas before taking the plunge.
>
> Is a mini-itx board enough to run it?

Should be. http://www.automated.it/asterisk/
has a live CD if you want
to test it. (I think it should boot OK now..)

> Have people bothered with the powered switches and using POE or just
put the
> inline PSUs at each location?
>
> Is there a voip to dect unit that will allow multiple bases and
provide the
> ability to hand calls between them as I move around the house?

Yeah, I got a sipura 3000 from www.calluk.com - which basically lets
you plug a dect handset (or a normal phone!) and another cable goes to
the phone line. www.telappliant.com do a similar thing too. (The
starter kit they do is cheap/useful if you're going to build a
asterisk server). You can either do it on the handsets themselves or
with each VoIP handset using asterisk (and parking, or
transfering..etc).

I'm absolutely loving the panasonic dect handsets w/ the sipura - it
comes up with name/number caller ID as with normal VoIP..etc. Even
landlines > voip. Love it :)

> What home automation coolness have people done with the display on the
phones?
> Anyone got a whole house security panel thing going on with there
phone displays?

Wayne Harrison has some funky mp3s playing when you ring him :) I know
Andy Powell (automated.it) has all sorts of temp monitoring info
displayed on his.

Just realised what drivel this email is.. but at work :( If you jump
on irc.nixhelp.org #ukha or #voip theres normally a bunch of folk you
can ask about VoIP stuff :))

Matthew