ipaq questions

Hi,  I  am  having some trouble with my ipaq. It only charges when the
cable  is  inserted at a particular angle. I think the socket has worn
with  constant  use.  Has  anyone  life had this problem and can it be
fixed?  Is  it worth upgrading from the 2002 to 2003 operating system?
What are the extra features of 2003? Thanks.