Latest message you have seen: RE: Anyone seen the xantech touchscreens at lets automate

RE: Re: [WAY OT] - SQL Replication

  • Subject: RE: Re: [WAY OT] - SQL Replication
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:10:43 -0000

wrote:
> > We use log shipping for keeping database in sync for reporting
& DR
> > failover.
> >
> > If you have SQL 2K Enterprise, then you'll have a wizard to set
it
> up
> > (although I use my own set of scripts), if you have standard,
then
> you'll
> > have to get your DBA to roll their own config.
> >
> > I've been using a log shipping mechanism since SQL 6.5 for DR
> purposes and
> > routinely perform failovers and have had no problem so far.
>
> All depends on the database size and rate of change per day really
> but i'd have to agree with alex, its a good way of doing things if
> the rate of change isnt that bad.

Log shipping is still effective with large databases, we have a database
just over 50Gb servicing over 450 concurrent helpdesk users. This running
24*7 and log shipping to a reporting box over the WAN. The limiting factor
really is the comms between the 2 boxes.

I'm currently considering using an existing SAN replication system to
transfer the log shipped files on a new contract that we're just building
the servers for, that'll be fun :)