RE: VGA RGB Question (for KAT5 use)

  • Subject: RE: VGA RGB Question (for KAT5 use)
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:50:53 -0000

Hi Gareth,

http://www.kat5.tv/videoformats.html

A computer monitor usually expects RGBHV but many will also accept RGBS
where S=CompositeSync fed into the H input at TTL levels. Sadly domestic
RGB
equipment doesnt output true Composite Sync instead it actually outputs
Composite Video.

The RGBtoPlasma converter from JS Tech takes this Composite Video and
extracts true H & V sync at TTL levels ensuring that plasma screens can
be
driven via their VGA port.

Unfortunately even though you can use this to get proper sync signals, they
will still be at the 15.625kHz H 50Hz V scan rate of a domestic TV and most
LCD screens and Computer monitors refuse to work with horizontal
frequencies
of less than 31kHz.

If the LCD says it supports SCART via the VGA port then it may already have
an input stage that would accept RGBS with no conversion.

HTH

Keith

> Quick Q - anyone know of the top of their heads what type of RGB
> (ie sync)
> a computer monitor (or in this case an LCD TV) takes ?
>
> Want to try getting the SKY RGB out to the LCD TV (has now SCART)
> by using
> the VGA port. Wondering if we need to convert and change the sync
(from
> RGBS)
>
> Any on a side note, do any of you take an RGBS to a device that needs
> RGBHV ? ie Sky to Projector - without the need for an expensive JS
Tech