RE: A quick Ethernet/Wireless straw poll please

Thanks everyone.

>From the replies it is a 100% wired interface then.

USB is not an option for these as I think to run Ethernet interfaces the=20
USB controller needs to be a host rather than a slave. If this is the case=
=20
then this is very difficult to achieve in embedded hardware produced at=20
home. Same goes for PCMCIA both with hardware and the necessary coding=20
around supporting it. This is after all only a poor little 128kbyte
micro=20
running at 14MHz with minimal resources. I would guess that a CF card=20
would suffer all the same problems.

By the time any of the above solutions had been designed, built, coded and=
=20
hardware bought I suspect there would be very little difference in cost to=
=20
the 80 quid plug it in and go embedded version.

Connecting external wireless hardware to the RJ45 port is fine although=20
products to do this are clumsy and not really cheap. I don't think an=20
access point would work for this but I am not an expert here.

Another question
How about a 10/100 interface. I had some chap from the States take a sharp=
=20
breath at _only_ 10Mbit saying that all new PC's over there are now=20
100/1000. Any thoughts? Basically these units would have to plug into a=20
switch or similar to reduce the throughput. Does anyone see this as an=20
issue over here in good old blighty?

Ian

"Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxx>
12/11/2004 10:43