Re: Re: OT: Anybody got a heat pump

Almost correct Mark

>>As you may also remember, if you compress a fluid, it becomes
denser,
and therefore hotter.

You can't compress a fluid (ask anyone who's driven their car through a
deep
puddle and sucked in water only to find their pissed'n'broke!!!).

You actually compress warm low pressure gas which, according to Charles'
gas
law, will heat up. The heat is then removed in a condenser (this is the bit
you see hanging outside windows or, in big installations, may be a wet
cooling tower, made famous by legionnaires disease. As the heat is removed
from the high pressure gas, it condenses in to high pressure liquid. This
liquid is allowed to expand in a controlled manner (rather than suddenly!)
at which point, Charles' law and latent heat of evaporation causes the
temperature drop.

The cold gas picks up heat in the "Evaporator" (this is usually
the inside
bit of the A/C unit) over which we pass air or water to realise usable
"Coolth". As the gas moves through the evaporator, it picks up
heat (From
the air or water we are passing over it) until it is warm (as opposed to
hot) and we start the cycle again by compressing the warm gas.

With a heat pump, we basically reverse the position of the evaporator and
condenser so that the heat rejection part which is normally outside (in a
cooling system) is inside and therefore provides usable heat.

With an ordinary cooling system, the evaporator is, well, an evaporator and
the condenser is a condenser. With a heat pump, the two parts are normally
capable of changing roles so that you can "pump" your heat in to
or out of
the building.

There is a good basic explanation of the A/C cycle here
http://science.howstuffworks.com/ac1.htm

Cheers

Neil