RE: New Consumer Unit

  • Subject: RE: New Consumer Unit
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:18:48 +0100

Hi Alex,

Lights do not need to go on the RCD, ring mains do. I would put the radial
for the computer on the rcd too.

The run to the garage, i would be tempted to run it off the non-rcd side,
and fit a split load CU in the garage too. Put the 2 freezers on the
non-RCD
and put them on fused spurs, not sockets.

I would also wait for some advice from others who have much better
knowledge
than me ;)

Cheers, Des.

> I've run a couple of replacement ring main circuits and redone
> the lighting
> circuits. Currently I'm on a fully populated 8 way very old (probably
> original unit)
>
> The new consumer unit is a split load, I'm looking for advise on
> what should
> sit on the RCD side of things. I've seen on many occasions other
people
> having trouble with their electrics such as light bulbs blowing
> tripping the
> breaker, power lost to freezers whilst away on holiday and I'm
therefore
> keen to avoid hostile comments from SWMBO :-)
>
> Is there a recommended location on the consumer unit for things.
>
> I have the following circuits
>
> 4 * lighting (2 up & 2 down)
> 3 * ring (up, down & kitchen)
> 2 * shower (1 in bathroom, 1 for potential en-suite, currently not
> connected)
> 2 * radial (1 for computer supply to office, 1 for garage)
> 1 * cooker
>
> Which should I put on the RCD side ?
>
> I have 2 freezers in the garage, would these be best on the
> kitchen ring or
> garage ?
>
> I'm considering a separate consumer unit for the garage and outside as
I'm