New Consumer Unit

  • Subject: New Consumer Unit
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:13:00 +0100

I've run a couple of replacement ring main circuits and redone the lighting
circuits. Currently I'm on a fully populated 8 way very old (probably
original unit)

The new consumer unit is a split load, I'm looking for advise on what
should
sit on the RCD side of things. I've seen on many occasions other people
having trouble with their electrics such as light bulbs blowing tripping
the
breaker, power lost to freezers whilst away on holiday and I'm therefore
keen to avoid hostile comments from SWMBO :-)

Is there a recommended location on the consumer unit for things.

I have the following circuits

4 * lighting (2 up & 2 down)
3 * ring (up, down & kitchen)
2 * shower (1 in bathroom, 1 for potential en-suite, currently not
connected)
2 * radial (1 for computer supply to office, 1 for garage)
1 * cooker

Which should I put on the RCD side ?

I have 2 freezers in the garage, would these be best on the kitchen ring or
garage ?

I'm considering a separate consumer unit for the garage and outside as I'm
also going to require power to a pond and shed later in the year (or next
year)