Re: New Consumer Unit

  • Subject: Re: New Consumer Unit
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 11:26:42 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Des Gibbons" <des@f...> wrote:

Spot on Des.

RCDs are best used to protect against life threatening shocks, and
the source of these is generally appliances that are plugged in.
Purpose two is guard against fire through earth leak which is
insufficient to trip a MCB.

Dedicated sockets for freezers and fridges, so you dont lose the
contents, or worse still get food poisoning.

Outside sockets are now mandated to be RCD protected.  I'd suggest
the same for garden fed stuff that isnt off a socket but off a
direct feed.  However you can use individual RCD sockets (eg
powerbreaker) and spur units running of a non-RCD protected radial
circuit quite validly and within the regs.

Finally, check your microwave doesnt trip RCDs, and if it does, give
it a feed too.  My old microwave did, but the new one was ok.