Re: Newbie lighting automation queries

  • Subject: Re: Newbie lighting automation queries
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:04:03 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Frank Mc Alinden" <fmcalind@b...>
wrote:
> Hi John
>
> > What would be the problem with X10? I am thinking of doing some
> > automation soon, probably on a smaller scale. X10 seems well
supported?

> Most people have no major problems with x10 kit..Its not as
reliable as a
> hardwired lighting system  ie lost messages and i dont believe it
has status
> feedback

Well Frank, there is a solution to the lack of status feedback (this
is a European only limitation by the way, x10 modules in the US have
feedback). The solution is to use something called Probe which is
developed by some guy in a 'land down under' where they are almost
quite good at rugby ;-)

Now where can you see this miraculous piece of kit? Well UKHA 2004 of
course where I will be showing that my HomeVision is perfectly well
aware of a light being on or off regardless of whether some luddite
uses a manual light switch.

This is of course a bold promise, I had 3 hours sleep the night
before last and 2 hours last night. But at 4am this morning when I
went to bed, the whole demo was working :-D

By the way, I believe a web cast is being planned for this weekend, I
sure if it comes off details will be posted here for those of you who
can't come.