RE: Re: Compaq Proliant Server help

  • Subject: RE: Re: Compaq Proliant Server help
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 17:09:19 +0100

I feel the need to mention the negative aspects whenever sniping is
mentioned, but it's really not a holy war type of issue for me ;)

I think there's a clear distinction between last minute bids by a user,
and automated sniping. I don't have an issue with the scenario you
describe, where someone sits at the auction end, mouse poised... I do
that myself, (I expect that almost everyone does). The problem is the
"go win this for me" scenario.

Thinking about it that way, whether it's a good thing to do or not, it's
certainly on topic for UKHA! ;)

As for technically telling the difference between a person bidding and
an automated sniping... well, the online Sniping services come from the
same address every time, and they "ping" the item page when the
snipe
listing is added, allowing the seller to know that *someone* has set up
a snipe (but not who)

The sniper software that runs on someone's PC... well, in that case
there's a couple of things you can do - placing an 1x1 pixel white image
in the listing, and then checking your server logs for a couple of
"real" hits, followed a couple of phantoms..

More hassle than it's worth to be honest, unless it's a holy war thing
;)

As a buyer, the best defence against snipers, bar none, is to not be a
tightass! The proxy bidding system will mean that an earlier high bid
will beat a sniper, 99% of the time.

As a seller, it's frustrating that people seem to think of ebay as a
flesh and blood auction, when those aren't time limited... I have done
it myself often enough - bid an increment, rather than the largest
amount I am willing to pay, where ebay will only Proxy bid up to that
level if others bid high as well...

Hey. I'm not complaining hard (had an excellent ebay month actually)
just making the token objection to sniping ;)

Ian.