RE: Compaq Proliant Server help

  • Subject: RE: Compaq Proliant Server help
  • From: "David Pullen" <dpullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 23:20:16 +0100

Matt

I have a 6500 and they certainly have a reputation for reliability. When
I bought mine (ebay) I was told that virtually every used Proliant has
started up first time but they have had many more problems with the
Dells.

They are reasonably upgradeable but mostly with Proliant parts. However,
there is a plentiful supply of parts on ebay and mostly for reasonable
prices. You can easily add (or swap) processor cards (just slot them in)
and more SCSI disks to the array. However, they do not appear to be very
IDE friendly. I am thinking of trying a controller card but have not got
round to that yet.

I think they are a good bet for a very reasonably priced, extremely
reliable server for home use. I think you will also find that with a
couple of processors and a decent amount of memory that they will handle
more that you expect. However, make sure that they are not in any
habitable room - they are very far from quiet. And don't forget they
consume considerably more power than your desktop!

BR
David