Re: Speed trap detection

Phil Harris wrote:

> The problem with the current batch of laser guns (as far as we un-law
> abiding citizens are concerned) is that at two miles the spread of the
laser
> beam is 18 inches (I've had a play with one and they're great fun - a
friend
> is a traffpol, you should see people sh*t themselves when you stand at
the
> side of the road with one!) - they don't bounce around hardly and to
be
> absolutely honest it looks as though you can even get caught without
setting
> off your laser detector depending on where they target on your car and
where
> your detector is. At 25 readings per second then you're pretty fooked.
Laser
> detectors are a COMPLETE waste of money IMO.

I disagree. The spread may only be 18 inches, but that's assuming it
doesn't get
diffused by passing through the windscreens of other cars, etc. I think
that as
long as you aren't the lead car, you've got a very good chance of getting a
warning.

I remember driving along the A4 away from Newbury one night and the police
had
hidden right at the end of a 30 limit through a small village, just before
it
returned to NSL. I was in a line or 4 or 5 cars that had started to
accelerate
after leaving the village but before getting to the new limit. Then I got a
laser alert, so I eased off back down to around 30. The youth behind in his
nova
full of his mates decided that that was the perfect opportunity to overtake
me... I've never really understood why they didn't pull him!

Anyway laser detectors can work! ;-)