Re: X10 Motion detection

  • Subject: Re: X10 Motion detection
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:08:42 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Harry Hendriks" <hja_hendriks@h...>
wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> I use Homevision + PIR's (standard) + X10 for light control. I
agree with
> other comments that the coming up of a light via a PIR and a
controller is a
> little bit slow, but we (so including my wife) are all very happy
with it.

You can improve the responsiveness by disabling the false-trigger
sensing on some PIRs - often this is a jumper-selectable feature on
hardwired PIRs, I have no idea whether X10 PIRs have something
similar. When used in a security context, PIRs typically only
generate contact closure if they see 2 or 3 hits within a given time
window. In an HA environment, false alarms are generally
inconsequential. Eliminating this need for multiple hits improves
responsiveness massively IME (hard to quantify exactly, but by
perhaps as much as 0.5s? I guess it depends on the PIR).

Patrick