Re: X10 Motion detection

You might want to consider using separate PIR's for motion detection
and alarm purposes.  Usually alarm PIRs are set up with a pulse count
feature to prevent false alarms.  However, this means the PIR takes
longer to activate as it waits for the multiple triggers.  For motion
detection for lighting control you need a quick (i.e. sensitive)
response (i.e. a single pulse count).  Most modern PIRs are
configurable but (as far as I'm aware) not dynamically.

I have Comfort and use the alarm PIRs for lighting purposes and some
separate PIRs for additional control in other areas - guess which
switch faster! (N.B. there is nothing in Comfort that stops you using
the PIR zones for one purpose or the other or both.)

Regards

RIchard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@m...>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wanting to (eventually) have automated lights so am looking at
fixing PIRs in each room for motion detection, and then having a
controller turn on the lights via X10. Can I also use these as part
of the alarm system or do I need different PIRs? I'm probably looking
at using MisterHouse as a controller but maybe eventually I'll get
HomeVision (and possibly Comfort).