Re: Laser - new X10 ?

  • Subject: Re: Laser - new X10 ?
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:47:24 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Marcus Warrington wrote:

> Just been looking at the UKHA 2004 review and noted that Laser are
> bringout a new X10 module.

I assume you are referring to the X-10 lamp module. It is currently housed
in a project type white box but we are redesigninig it to be fitted into a
DIN rail body the same size as the LD11. ie. As a direct replacement of
the LD11.

> Any news on its progress , will it support status response ?

Status response for the module has been planned and designed but not
implemented yet.

> .. why do 99% of the UK modules not support status response, it seems
> to be one of the single most wanted features and yet no ones

Two-way appliance and lamp modules have been available for years in the
USA and there are UK modules that have the facility. Based on the
experience in the USA, two-way modules have not been popular. It could be
because of the extra cost of the modules or other reasons.

> manufacturing them. Is it simply a cost issue (since it would require
> an X10 transmitter as well as a receiver in the module) ? Having a

Retail cost has a lot to do with it, in my opinion.

> lamps when I press the main light switch. If the switch/LD11 would
> actually transmit when I pressed as well as simply turn on the light
> it was connected to, then it would be simply be a case of setting
> light and lamps to the same house/unit code.

The transmit facility has to be intelligent, otherwise all the relevant
modules would transmit at the same time and corrupt each other's signal.

> How do others handle this type of "scene" lighting

Our new lamp module has scene setting as well as variable ramp rate.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.