RE: Re: xAP HomeSeer plugin - Released

  • Subject: RE: Re: xAP HomeSeer plugin - Released
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:57:42 +0100

Paul - just a  thought - if you are running xPLHAL on the same
machine then you can enable the xAP hub within that application, that's
quite a good path to go if you are using both xPL and xAP in a mixed
environment as you can script interaction bewteen the two in xPLHAL. Make
sure the hub(s) start before any xPL or xAP applications (otherwise later
launched applications will appear to be deaf). If the HS plugin is the only
xAP application then you don't need a hub.

To initially play I would suggest downloading xAP Weather from
www.mi4.biz  (as it needs no extra hardware)or perhaps xAP Slim connector
from www.xapframework.net if you have a SliMP3 or Squeezebox.  These are
two
good demo 'input' applications, the Slim connector giving you some IR
triggers as well. Following on from that for 'output' I would introduce xAP
Watcher or for a really flashy display environment with the floating
transparent windows xAP Desktop from www.mi4.biz. The Slim connector will
already offer you a full queue managed display environment for those
players.  If you have a Meteor CID unit then that also makes a nice
introduction and there is an appropriate 'pop up' display template already
in xAP Desktop.

The xAP Automation list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xap_automation/
will provide the best help
forum for the many new xAP users that will emerge through the HomeSeer
integration . The plugin has made a great start with documentation this
time
(well done James) and there will be more 'how to's ' appearing shortly as
people play. One of the great things about the HS Pluging is not only that
all xAP devices become integrated as HomeSeer devices but the reverse is
true - any HomeSeer device becomes a xAP device - so all those plugins for
HS now offer xAP interaction too :-)  This provides for many alternative
ways to solve your integration needs - just what xAP is intended to do.

Kevin