From: James Fidell [mailto:james@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 04 June 2004 23:50
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] "private" paging system

When I'm away from my desk, say out in the garden, I'd like to be able
to have the system send me messages -- to tell me about things that have
happened, notify me of incoming emails, all sorts of arguably useful
stuff.

The obvious way to achieve this might be with SMS, but that's out
because there's no coverage here.  And anyhow, this is just for my
private use.  I don't see the need for paying someone else to provide a
load of infrastructure that I'm not going to use.

Currently my best idea is to use a palmtop with wifi running an
application that can receive messages and to put a wifi aerial on the
roof to cover the entire property.

Are there any simpler ideas I should consider?

James