Re: Broadband - Eclipse just changed everything!!

> Which although is a nice idea, is not particularly cheap. Personally
it
> appears to be another form of tarrif to encourage users to spend more
on
> their broadband. Because as you well know, most people (especially
with
> kids) will max out their broadband conections quite regularly and
instead of
> the expected £23 bill for your broadband you could end up with £70 per
month
> which is more expensive than some 2mb connections.

That's hardly the case, in reality.

It's about giving folk choice and flexibilty.
Why pay 40quid/month for 2Mb when you only use that capacity for 48
hours out of the entire month?

Now you can 512 (at 25quid/month)...and then pay for 2mb for 4 or 5
hours when you need to download the latest Linux ISO (for example).

It's about giving the Service Providers the ability to make better use
from the networks that are in place today (and after all, they are
businesses trying to make a profit).

These systems work on the basis of users "turning on" the new
capacity -
it's not the case the when you hit your cap limit the system
"upgrades"
you. So there's no possibility of you ending up with a 70quid bill
unexpectedly becase the kids have spent all w/e downloading movie trailers.

I've spent the past 2 years developing and working with this technology
- and it's pretty neat stuff. It's been deployed in mainland Europe
quite successfully and also in areas of North America. It's also what
enables most wireless hotspots these days to (FYI).

Rob