Re: origianlly AAC V MP3 - now MP3 player

  • Subject: Re: origianlly AAC V MP3 - now MP3 player
  • From: "alanmiddleton74" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 13:45:45 -0000

PCPro did a review of the latest mp3 players that is available on=20
their website, www.pcpro.co.uk -> reviews -> labs. I think the
iriver=20
40Gb unit came out best in that - the inline remote is a very good=20
idea as the hd solutions are bulky and live in bags / pockets.

Personally I still like my creative labs zen unit despite it doing=20
badly in the review. Have nearly filled the 30Gb hard disk with 240=20
albums. Currently looking at a (dodgy) 60Gb hard disk upgrade or=20
being more selective in what's on there. Main reason for buying this=20
unit was price (very cheap in NY at the time) and reswappable battery.

hth,

Alan.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Mark Hallows <markhallows@p...> wrote:
> Thanks to both Tony and Mark for the info. Cheers guys.=20
>=20
> Now I know this has been asked before but there are a couple of new=20
boys on
> the block now..
>=20
> I am finally ready to buy an MP3 player and I need something a=20
little bit
> robust. I deffinately want a HDD based system.
>=20
> Any suggestions ?
> Does anyone have a 	40GB Iriver IHP 100 series ?
> 			20GB Rio Karma
> 			40GB IPOD
> The iriver and the Rio are the same price on AMP's website =A3269
and=20
the IPOD
> is another =A3100
>=20
> I am not a fashion junky so looks aren't important but build=20
quality and
> features are along with useability..
>=20
> Any advice very welcome..
>=20
> Mark H=20
>=20
?=20
Maybe
>=20
> Rip to something like:
> WMA lossless
> FLAC
> monkeys
> shorten
>=20
> etc etc.
> Various tradeoffs with the different formats - file size vs time
&=20
cpu
> resoures to encode and/or decode, platforms supported etc etc.
> Check this for a size/speed comparison
> http://members.home.nl/w.speek/comparison.htm
>=20
> I use WMA personally, but I know FLAC is quite popluar, probably=20
coz it's
> free and cross platform....
>=20
> > stupid
> > question but would like to double check... and what do you use
to=20
do the
> > batch conversions ??
>=20
> I use Easy CD-DA extractor for extraction and conversions.
> Usually actually, I rip to WMA lossess and then again to 320k
LAME=20=20
MP3