Re: Wireless In-Car MP3?

Sounds like its not really a problem then.  For my needs it sounds as
though a PDA has all the functionality - if I could mount it in a new
box and interface it to a hard disk, I'd be there :-)

UKHA wrote:

>On the other side of the fence, many years ago I had a
"portable" MP3 player
>(that was P133 PC built into a briefcase, powered by an inverter) with
a 5GB
>3.5" standard IDE harddrive, cushioned by a few rubber grommets,
strapped
>into the boot of my car for many months (until the inverter packed up),
the
>harddrive was fine... not hiccup in the music and it scandisked fine
when I
>removed it...
>
>A friend also has a newer MStation that has had the 3.5" HD
mounted in his
>boot for 2-3years and he does a lot of mileage, but the HD is still
OK...

>Of course YMMV...  :)
>
>Lee

computer and 3"
>    >>>(guessing) LCD screen & buttons. The HDD was in a
caddy so
>    >>>
>    >>>
>    >>you'd pull
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>>the caddy out, put it in your desktop PC, dump your
mp3s to it then
>    >>>slot it back in the car. The HDD wasn't huge, maybe
40GB, but enough
>    >>>for a couple of songs on the way to work ;-)
>    >>>
>    >>>I had a quick look on the Maplin site and can't see it
now,
>    >>>
>    >>>
>    >>typical :-(
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>>Price wasn't too bad either, comparable to an IPOD
IIRC.
>    >>>
>    >>>Cheers,
>    >>>
>    >>>Tim H.
>    >>>
>    >>>
>    >>>
>    >>>
>    >>>
in the
>    >>>>
>    >>>>
>    >>car on the
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>>>way home from work that it might be an idea to buy
a car
>    >>>>
>    >>>>
>    >>stereo that
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>>>could play MP3 disks (so I wouldn't have to burn so
many disks!).
>    >>>>
>    >>>>Then I thought why not connect a portable Mp3
player instead
>    >>>>- I could download music to it and have different
tunes each day
>    >>>>without having to burn disks at all.
>    >>>>
>    >>>>_Then_ I thought, well wouldn't it be cool if the
player had a
>    >>>>wireless lan connection - I could grab music from
my home network
>    >>>>before setting off in the morning, and not have to
keep
>    >>>>
>    >>>>
>    >>bringing the
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>>>thing indoors (the player not the car) to be
plugged into the PC.
>    >>>>
>    >>>>I know I could do this with a Wireless PDA, but is
there
>    >>>>
>    >>>>
>    >>anything that
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>>>can be permanently fitted to the car that would do
that same thing?
>    >>>>
>    >>>>If not, there's a gap in the market for someone to
fill! :-)