Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Extending USB over Cat5

Re: Re: TV Card with Kiosk PC

  • Subject: Re: Re: TV Card with Kiosk PC
  • From: Mark J Cox <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:52:29 +0100 (BST)

> Mark, did you have any problems getting redhat installed with regards
> to wfunny hardware?

I picked an earlier version of Red Hat Linux (RHL9) which I knew should
work fine.  Everything worked out okay, with the touchscreen being
supported by a driver that ships with RHL (although if you've not
calibrated the screen in DOS already you'll need to have a few attempts at
guessing the values to get the positioning to line up).  It worked first
time with a PCMCIA adaptor and Orinoco wireless card and the WinTV PCI
card too.

There was some initial problems with serial port IRQ's conflicting with
the touchscreen - so for speed I just simply disabled a couple of the
serial ports rather than fixing the IRQ detection.  You'll also need to
compile and run a more recent version of xawtv than what ships otherwise
you'll end up unable to get full-screen mode without a titlebar.

If there's any interest from people who want to run Linux on these I'll
write it all up and put the config files and maybe a kickstart setup
online.  For simple TV viewing it should be possible to do a minimal boot
without X that uses the framebuffer directly, but I've not had the time to
try that yet.

Cheers,
Mark
--
Apache Software Foundation ..... OpenSSL Group ..... Apache Week editor