RE: Quad LNB to Single Digibox ?

  • Subject: RE: Quad LNB to Single Digibox ?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:12:14 +0100

:-((
I did fear that. For splitters I was going to use "Y" connectors
which I
was hoping wouldn't be too lossy. On reflection you're probably right
about the signal phases, I guess it only has to be a little bit out to
totally confuse the digibox :-(

> I would check the dish alignment first,

Checked that last weekend, and did manage to see a small improvement on
the sat finder with it's new position :-) Didn't make much difference to
picture quality though :-(

> then try and find a
> site for the dish that is not obstructed by trees.

That's my biggest problem. The whole roughly-eastern side of my property
is lined with tall trees (same height as house). Distance from dish to
tree is probably 15m. Dish is already at upper gutter level, shooting
between two other properties. I don't think (but will check) that moving
to ridge height will be any better :-(

> Even with
> a larger dish you are likely to have problems unless you have
> clear line of sight to the satellite.

I have an old analogue dish that I was initially going to try. I haven't
worked out the area differences, but it looks to have much more area
than my little mini-dish. I don't think that the LNB is failing as
during the wind of the past few nights, the signal quality was jumping
right up. I do need to re-think my structured wiring too, as I have too
many joins in the cable. Wiring direct didn't make much difference on
the digibox strength / quality meter, but did improve picture Q.

> Bill

Thanks Bill, comments much appreciated (you've just saved me 60 quid for
a quad LNB !!)

Cheers,

Tim H.

+