Re: ipaq questions

Hi Stephen,

> I have an ipaq 5450 that I wish to connect to my ha server by wifi.
>=20
> I see that there are some newer ipaq models: the 5455, 5550, and=20
5555.

I only have a lowly 3830 but it has bluetooth on.=20

> The 5550 has 128k ram instead of 64k but what are the differences
> between the others? I could not find this whilst browsing their web
> site.

Are you sure you don't mean megabytes instead of kilobytes!  MB are=20
significantly bigger!  I have 32Mb of built in RAM on mine - what=20
this means in real terms is this.  The RAM is split into two areas -=20
the iPaq file store (kind of backup program so you don't lose your=20
settings), and space for programs (both to install them and the=20
memory they need to run.  This built-in memory is not easy (or cheap)=20
to upgrade - I'd go for the one with as MUCH RAM AS POSIBLE - this=20
will help to future proof you (I only bought mine 18 months ago and=20
now I need to upgrade it again!
>=20
> There are two ways to increase the memory on an ipaq: an sd card or=20
> cf card. I no nothing about these; what are the
> advantages/disadvantages of each?

These are for storing music, pictures etc.  You can also install=20
programs onto these but remember that if you take the card out you=20
won't be able to use the program!  AFAIK, there is no noticeable=20
difference in speed between SD, MMC (uses the same slot) and CF.  SD=20
and MMC tend to be slightly more expensive than CF but CF is somewhat=20
bigger.  Also, I think all iPaqs come with an SD slot built in - I=20
certainly have to use an expansion jacket to use CF.  Using an=20
external jacket like this does drain power quicker - however, Compaq=20
(now HP) have released various expansion jackets that include new=20
functionality with these jackets.  I have a CF jacket with bluetooth=20
for example.  There are also extra packs that have EXTENDED RUNTIME=20
BATTERIES.  However, unless you find one on eBay these are VERy=20
expensive.  I'm not sure if the new iPaq's (such as yours) can use=20
these jackets anymore - I think they are only useable up to the 3900=20
series?=20

> I see that bluetooth drains the battery pretty quick. I assume that
> when I use wifi that will do the same? How do you cope with this? Do
> you have docking stations throughout your house? Do only HP make=20
such
> cradles or are there any cheaper ones?

I only turn bluetooth on when I need it (getting on the 'net using my=20
mobile or when at home via the bluetooth dongle in the PC).  To be=20
honest, I haven't noticed much difference in battery cycle time.=20=20
With WiFi though, make sure to get a card that states it is LOW POWER=20
consumption - if CF then i'd reccomend any of the mordern ones=20
(Dlink, Netgear etc) or a socket low power one (these are wuite a bit=20
more expensive though are they are mainly used in industry.  Also=20
make sure that they state they are for use with PocketPC or Win CE 3=20
or above.

If using a PCMCIA card and the appropriate jacket the same applies -=20
make sure it fits (32bit not 16 basically look for anything that says=20
cardbus) and that is has Win CE or PocketPC drivers.

I leave mine in the cradle overnight (never had to charge it during a=20
normal days use).  If you do need 'emergency power' though, look on=20
ebay.  They have a device that plugs into the data port on the bottom=20
and will allow you to connect AA batteries to power the iPaq.
>=20
> What is the difference between fast usb and slow usb charging? How
> does this compare to charging via the power socket? I see some car
> chargers use hte power socket and others use the flat data socket;
> does this make a difference?

I've only ever charged using the power socket on my USB/Serial cradle=20
So I couldn't comment sorry.  I do plan to use a car charger soon=20
though.  I don't think there is any difference - as long as it works=20
i'm happy!  Make suer that any cables you use in the car don't=20
obstruct your handbrake or gearshift.
>=20
> Which car cradle do you recommend?

Again, look on eBay - you can get one for a reasonable price on=20
there.  DON'T get one that fits into the grill for the=20
heater/aircon.  They have a history of letting go over bumps and=20
smashing your shiny ne iPaq!  The best ones are those that screw or=20
otherwise attach to the dash or the sucker ones onto the windscreen=20
using the 'twisting action' so you don't have to lick the base=20
first!  Make sure you put it somewhere that isn't too obvious but=20
that you can still see to drive!  Also, make sure it is one that the=20
iPaq can be removed when you get out of the car or overnight - don't=20
let theives have an easy ride!  I know, its happened to me twice!
>=20
> I have bought tomtom and it is good but the voice can be quiet=20
against
> the road noise. is it possible to amplify the sound output with an
> external device and if so, how?

I'd get yourself down to your local =A3stretcher and buy a tape to=20
portable CD thingy - the one that looks like a tpe that you push into=20
your cassette player and then has a 3.5mm jack that plugs into the=20
headphone socket of your iPaq.  If you have a CD however its a bit=20
harder.  You MAY have an aux socket on either the front or the back=20
of your headunit.  If you read the manual it should tell you.  From=20
there you should be able to rig up some sort of lead (connectors=20
depend on your stereo) to get sound from the iPaq.
>=20
> Thanks for your patience; sorry there were so many questions!

No probs.  I hope some of this helps.  If I have totally confused you=20
or anything then either reply to this again or drop me a line off-
list.=20=20

Everything I have typed above is only my opinion and should be=20
treated as such - I have no affiliation to eBay or =A3stretcher other=20
than I shop there occasionally!  And I take no responsibility for=20
people dismantling their dashboards to get to the back of their=20
headunits!