RE: Shower flow detection

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Shower flow detection
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:55:36 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

Hi StUart,

I was looking at this a while ago, with DesG. He found this one (flow
switc=
h) from Farnell "water flow switch 15mm  372-0986 about =A36.50
each". But,=
as you say, it needs plumbing. The bit I was really trying to avoid was th=
e pressure drop they induce in the line as my showers are only gravity fed.

Temperature switches were also an option, but sourcing one with the right
c=
haracteristics wasn't a simple task, nor were they particularly cheap.
Howe=
ver, in the last couple of weeks I've been toying with using a DHW
cylinder=
stat clamped to the pipe. It's easy to fit, mains voltage rated, adjustabl=
e, doesn't impede the water flow and is cheap (especially as I've already
g=
ot a spare one !).

It's a job on the to do list, along with fitting the extract fan, so I'll
l=
et you know how I get on. Don't hold your breath though . . . ;-)

One last suggestion - if you've got a power shower unit fed from a mains
pu=
ll cord, take some contacts from the switch. It doesn't detect flow, but
do=
es save some messing around (Keith's suggestion that one :-)  )

Cheers,

Tim H.

+

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com=20