From: Simon Coates [mailto:ecolume@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 25 January 2004 18:16
To: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: Occupancy detection

Stephen,

A 'traditional' PIR is the type used for security purposes and is
designed
to minimise false alarms - ie. by having pulse counting etc...
An occupancy sensor is much more sensitive as it is designed to detect
slight movements of a person in a room.  For example, sitting at a desk
or
sat on a sofa watching TV etc...

The occupancy detectors I've supplied to people on the group in the past
are
recessed ceiling mounted detectors.  They require a 12V DC supply 1mA
(not
including load) and have an open collector output rated at 40V max 25mA
-
and can be directly connected to HomeVision, Comfort etc.. The coverage
is
360 degrees and the detection pattern is 3 concentric 'rings' - 14
concentrated zones in the centre, 24 zones from about 1m to 2m then 24
zones
>from

I've also been working on some tiny occupancy detectors that were based
on
the Matsushita PIR (very small and very sensitive) unfortunately I cut
off
the ends of 3 fingers a few months ago and that's put me behind on a lot
of
other things - also the factory burnt down just before Christmas and I
lost
most of my equipment and stock :o(  Just call me lucky !!!

However I have some of the original PIRs if you are interested.

Regards

Simon Coates