RE: OT : Filtered Water Taps

As a footnote to my previous I have just had a chat to our sampling
officer.
The kitchen tap is generally the most contaminated tap in the house, peices
of
food detritus etc generally become lodged inside the tap head and this area
becomes a breeding ground for viruses and bacteria. In commercial kitchens
tap
heads tend to be made of brass and are removable so that they can be
cleaned
and sterilized. If your system removes residual chlorine at the entry point
in
the house the water in the pipework runs can become infected / contaminated
>from
water run for a little bit before drinking it, to clear any potentially
contaminated water. This isnt so critical for healthy adults, but for the
very
young and the elderly or infirm this may cause significant harm. To give
you an
idea of how this affects water in real terms - our sampling officer either
sterilizes tap heads with a blowtorch (if they are all metal) or with a
concentrated sollution of FiChlor. By not sterilozing the tap heads in
kitchens
we can have upto a 25% failiure rate on samples.
This is particularly critical as the kitchen tap is the principal drinking
water tap in most houses.

Simon

Quoting simonr@f2s.com:

> <tt>
> We have over 400 private water supplies in the Moorlands and they have
<BR>
> installed numerous types of water treatment. Not all Ion exchange
systems
> rely <BR>
> on salt, some are sealed units (the size of large acetylene bottles)
and last
&lt;groups@watkinworld.co.uk&gt;:<BR>
> <BR>
> &gt; &lt;html&gt;&lt;body&gt;<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; &lt;tt&gt;<BR>
> &gt; The house I am in the process of buying has both a cartridge
based
> water&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; filter with a separate tap as well as a whole house water
softener
> that&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; takes up an entire kitchen cupboard!! Haven't tasted the
water so
> can't&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; comment on it, however at my parents house, a litle over a
mile away
> as<BR>
> &gt; crow&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; flies, the water is okay if a litle hard, in this case a
brita
> filter<BR>
> &gt; makes&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; very litle difference to the taste of the water in my
> opinion.&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; I would also be interested in peoples views on these things
both
> whole<BR>
> &gt; house&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; and cartridge based as I am seriously considering having the
whole
> house<BR>
> &gt; one&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; ripped out as cupboard space in the kitchen is somewhat at a
> premium&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Paul&amp;nbsp; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; -----Original Message-----&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; From: Ben McCormack [mailto:ben@xxxxxxx]
&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Sent: 22 January 2004 13:39&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; To: Home Automation List&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Subject: [ukha_d] OT : Filtered Water
Taps&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Hi all&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Hopefully someone on the group will be abel to help
me.&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; We live in a hard water area and usually use a Brita Water
Filter
> for<BR>
> &gt; our&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; drinking water. Now I am getting fed up of having to buy the
> cartridges&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; every month or so.&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; So basically I am looking for one of those systems that is
plumbed in
> to&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; provide filtered drinking water that will not scale the
kettle up.
> &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Does anyone have any recommendations? I am not interested in
> softening<BR>
> &gt; the&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; whole supply;y as I like hard water to wash
etc&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Cheers&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Ben&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK
NOW!&lt;BR&gt;<BR>

href="http://www.ukha2004.com";>http://www.ukha2004.com</a>&lt;/a&gt;&lt;BR&gt;<B

> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;a<BR>
> &gt; href=&quot;<a

href="http://www.automatedhome.co.uk";>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk</a>&quot;&g
t;<a

href="http://www.automatedhome.co.uk";>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk</a>&lt;/a&g
t;&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
ukha_d@yahoogroups.com&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Unsubscribe:&amp;nbsp;
ukha_d-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Yahoo! Groups Links&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; To visit your group on the web, go
to:&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt;&nbsp; &lt;a<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> href=&quot;<a

d/</a>&quot;&gt;<a

a><BR>
> d/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
to:&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt;&nbsp;
ukha_d-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
to:&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt;&nbsp; &lt;a<BR>
> &gt; href=&quot;<a

href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>&q
uot;&gt;<a

href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>&l
t;/a&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;/tt&gt;<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;tt&gt;<BR>
> &gt; UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK
NOW!&lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;a href=&quot;<a
> href="http://www.ukha2004.com";>http://www.ukha2004.com</a>&quot;&gt;<a

href="http://www.ukha2004.com";>http://www.ukha2004.com</a>&lt;/a&gt;&lt;BR&gt;<B

> &gt; &lt;BR&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;a href=&quot;<a

href="http://www.automatedhome.co.uk";>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk</a>&quot;&g
t;<a

href="http://www.automatedhome.co.uk";>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk</a>&lt;/a&g
t;<BR>
ukha_d-owner@yahoogroups.com&lt;/tt&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; &lt;br&gt;<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; &lt;!-- **begin egp html banner** --&gt;<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; &lt;table border=0 cellspacing=0
cellpadding=2&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;tr bgcolor=#FFFFCC&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;td align=center&gt;&lt;font
size=&quot;-1&quot;
> color=#003399&gt;&lt;b&gt;Yahoo! Groups<BR>
> &gt;
Sponsor&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;/tr&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;tr bgcolor=#FFFFFF&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;td align=center width=470&gt;&lt;table
border=0 cellpadding=0
> cellspacing=0&gt; &lt;tr&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;td align=center&gt;&lt;font face=arial

size=-2&gt;ADVERTISEMENT&lt;/font&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;a<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> href=&quot;<a

href="http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cf73ld9/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egrou
">http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cf73ld9/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egrou</a>
<BR>
> pweb/S=1705041992:HM/EXP=1074866987/A=1945637/R=0/*<a
> href="http://www.netflix.com/Defaul";>http://www.netflix.com/Defaul</a><BR>
> t?mqso=60178397&amp;partid=4116730&quot;<BR>
> &gt; alt=&quot;&quot;&gt;&lt;img<BR>
> &gt; src=&quot;<a

href="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ne/netflix/yhoo0104_b_300250a.gif";>htt
p://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ne/netflix/yhoo0104_b_300250a.gif</a>&quot;<BR>
> &gt; alt=&quot;click here&quot;
width=&quot;300&quot; height=&quot;250&quot;

border=&quot;0&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;/td&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;/tr&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;&lt;img
alt=&quot;&quot; width=1 height=1<BR>
> &gt; src=&quot;<a
> href="http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?";>http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?</a><BR>

M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=892777018&quo
t;&gt;&lt;/<BR>
> td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;/table&gt;<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; &lt;!-- **end egp html banner** --&gt;<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; &lt;br&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;tt&gt;&lt;hr
width=&quot;500&quot;&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;b&gt;Yahoo! Groups
Links&lt;/b&gt;&lt;br&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;ul&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;li&gt;To visit your group on the web, go
to:&lt;br&gt;&lt;a<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> href=&quot;<a

d/</a>&quot;&gt;<a

a><BR>
> d/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br&gt;&amp;nbsp;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;li&gt;To unsubscribe from this group, send an
email
> to:&lt;br&gt;&lt;a<BR>
> &gt;
> href=&quot;mailto:ukha_d-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx?
subject=Unsubscribe&quot;&gt;ukha_d-<BR>

> &gt; &lt;li&gt;Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
&lt;a<BR>
> &gt; href=&quot;<a

href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>&q
uot;&gt;Yahoo!
> Terms of Service&lt;/a&gt;.<BR>
> &gt; &lt;/ul&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;/tt&gt;<BR>
> &gt; &lt;/br&gt;<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; &lt;/body&gt;&lt;/html&gt;<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> ------------------------------------------------- <BR>
> Everyone should have <a
> href="http://www.freedom2surf.net/";>http://www.freedom2surf.net/</a>
<BR>
> </tt>

> <tt>
> UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com <BR>
> Subscribe:&nbsp; ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com <BR>

> <tt><hr width="500">
> <ul>
> <li>To visit your group on the web, go to:<br><a

d/</a><br>&nbsp;
> <li>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
to:<br><a
> href="mailto:ukha_d-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe";>ukha_d-
> <li>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
> href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>Yahoo!
Terms of Service</a>.
> </ul>
> </tt>

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com