Re: Telephone Systems

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Telephone Systems
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:33:45 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

> The bonus is that it senses faxes and
> has a call director so will automatically transfer calls to a
> specific extension when an external call comes in.  I have included
> a link to some product information below:

Don't have any comments on the specific PBX - but an observation
about fax sensing in general: the PBX has to answer the line in order
to do the fax sensing. Depending on how it is implemented, this can
be very disconcerting for the caller (e.g. they hear 15s of silence
before then hearing simulated ringing). It is also anti-social in the
event that no-one answers the phone (the caller is paying to hear a
ringing tone, but may not be aware of this fact).

If you want to receive occasional faxes, and have a BT line, then you
may well be better off with a distinctive ringing adapter. You can
have two numbers assigned to the same physical line for a charge of
1.50/month (BT call this "callsign"). Plug in a widget like this
http://www.beststuff.co.uk/bt_twin_talk.htm
and the call gets routed
to the right place, based on the number dialed.

PS. As a source for PBXs in general (new and second hand) you can't
go far wrong with the back of Exchange and Mart magazine.

Patrick

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com