Re: Re: DIY Lighting DMX Option

> Guys, at just under =A315 +VAT per channel this looks very
interesting.=20
> As
> I understand it DMX512 is a bus system allowing for dimming as well as
> colour change and light movement with the right kit, fantastic.

DMX, although originally designed for dimming, is simply a=20
communication system for setting a 'dimmer' numbered between 1 and 512,=20
to a value between 0 and 255, moving lights, colour changers, even=20
things like smoke machines and curtains are ran of this system is most=20
theatres, essentially your curtains pretend to be a lighting dimmer and=20
0 is closed 255 is open :P

I'd been wondering about the possibilities of DMX in the home ... but=20
buying the stuff new is comparable to C-Bus, there is a readily=20
available pile of old stuff from various sources and analouge dimmers=20
are now available very cheaply because no-one uses them, but it is=20
possible to get Demux units which convert DMX to analouge quite=20
cheaply...

On the other hand I could connect my house to the Strand GSX gathering=20
dust in the cupboard.... maybe not :P

Ross

--=20
This message has been scanned for viruses and=20
dangerous content and is believed to be clean

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com=20